There are two very interesting emails in the Wikileaks archive of Clinton mails, which were leaked and published during the US election in 2016. They shed a different light on the commonly used rhetoric of a civil war in Libya. These emails were also released under the freedom of information act, however this source has already been removed. So in any case, if WikiLeaks’ version goes down, here are the copies:
First email: (click)
To: Hillary Clinton
Date: 2011-03-26 12:05
Subject: H: LOTS OF NEW INTEL; POSSIBLE LIBYAN COLLAPSE. SID
UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05782401 Date: 12/31/2015
RELEASE IN PART
March 27, 2011
Re: Lots of new intel; Libyan army possibly on verge of collapse
During the evening of March 27, 20.11, individuals with direct access to the military committee of the National Libyan Council (NLC) stated in confidence that while the rebel forces continue to have organization and communications problems, their morale has improved drastically, and they believe the Libyan Army is on the verge of collapse. Under attack from allied Air and Naval forces, the Libyan Army troops have begun to desert to the rebel side in increasing numbers. The rebels are making an effort to greet these troops as fellow Libyans, in an effort to encourage additional defections.
(Source Comment: Speaking in strict confidence, one rebel commander stated that his troops continue to summarily execute all foreign mercenaries captured in the fighting. At the same time Colonel Khalifa Haftar has reportedly joined the rebel command structure, in an effort to help organization the rebel forces. Haftar was the commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA), a 1500 man force of anti-Qaddafi troops based in N’djamena, Chad, until current President Idryss Debi overthrew Chadian President Hussein Habre in the fall of 1990, with the assistance of Libyan and French troops. Haftar and his troops fled to a country in central Africa and many, including Haftar, later settled in the United States.)
An extremely sensitive source added that the rebels are receiving direct assistance and training from a small number of Egyptian Special Forces units, while French and British Special Operations troops are working out of bases in Egypt, along the Libyan border. These troops are overseeing the transfer of weapons and supplies to the rebels.
(Source Comment: The rebels are moving back into areas that they lost in mid- March fighting, and using the allied air cover, they are confident they can move into the Tripoli district in a matter of days. One rebel source reported that they had reliable intelligence that people were evacuating Qaddafi’s hometown, Sirte, anticipating its capture by the rebels. Sirte is located mid-way between Tripoli and Benghazi; its loss will be a psychological blow for Qaddafi.)
Separately, a sensitive European source stated in strict confidence that French military commanders anticipate a complete collapse of the Libyan military command and control structure in the next week. These officers, who have experience with the Libyan Army during its invasion of Chad in the late 1980s stated that the Libyan troops did not perform well under concentrated fire from troops. armed with modern weapons. This source also noted that information from Tripoli has become increasingly difficult to obtain, but there are reports of deaths among some Qaddafi’s senior security officials, including Mansour Daw, and that the Libyan leader himself may have experienced a health problem. Unfortunately, the European Intelligence services have been unable to confirm or discredit these reports.
This situation has become increasingly frustrating for French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who, according to knowledgeable individuals, is pressing to have France emerge from this crisis as the principal foreign ally of any new government that takes power. Sarkozy is also concerned about continuing reports that radical/terrorist groups such as the Libyan Fighting Groups and Al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) are infiltrating the NLC and its military command. Accordingly, he asked sociologist who has long established ties to Israel, Syria, and other B6 nations in the Middle East, to use his contacts to determine the level of influence AQIM and other terrorist groups have inside of the NLC. Sarkozy also asked for reports setting out a clear picture of the role of the Muslim Brotherhood in the rebel leadership.
These sources note that French diplomats and intelligence officers in Egypt are in contact with the following rebel figures in Benghazi:
– MESMARI Nouri (Qaddafi’s former head of protocol, who along with Mousa Kousa was considered the Libyan leaders most loyal follower. Nouri currently lives in France)
– Gehan (GHEHANI) Abdallah (colonel)
– CHARRANT Faraj
– BOUKHRIS Fathi
– General Abdelfateh Younis (commander of the rebel forces)
(Source Comment: Senior European security officials caution that AQIM is watching developments in Libya, and elements of that organization have been in touch with tribes in the southeastern part of the country. These officials are concerned that in a post-Qaddafi Libya, France and other western European countries must move quickly to ensure that the new government does not allow AQIM and others to set up small, semi-autonomous local entities — or “Caliphates” — in the oil and gas producing regions of southeastern Libya.)
These knowledgeable sources add that the insurgents have the following weapons stockpiled in Benghazi:
– 82 and 120 mm. mortars
– GPZ type machine guns
– 12.7mm. machine guns mounted on 4×4 vehicles
– some anti-aircraft batteries type ZSU 23/2 and 23/4 as well as Man-Portable Air-Defense-Systems (MANPADS) type SAM7
– some tanks type T-72
– Possibly some fixed wing aircraft, and some light transport/medium helicopters.
A seemingly endless supply of AK47 assault rifles and ammunition (even for systems ZSU 23/4 and 23/2).
French, British and Egyptian Special Forces troops are training the rebels inside of western Egypt, and to a limited degree in the western suburbs of Benghazi.
(Source Comment: These sources add that the MANPAD SAM7 systems appear to be old and badly preserved, and have been judged useless by the rebels.)
Second email: (click)
To: Hillary Clinton
Date: 2011-04-02 02:00
Subject: FRANCE’S CLIENT & QADDAFI’S GOLD
UNCLASSIFIED U.S. Department of State Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05785522 Date: 01/07/2016
RELEASE IN FULL
April 2, 2011
Re: France’s client & Qaddafi’s gold
1. A high ranking official on the National Libyan Council states that factions have developed within it. In part this reflects the cultivation by France in particular of clients among the rebels. General Abdelfateh Younis is the leading figure closest to the French, who are believed to have made payments of an unknown amount to him. Younis has told others on the NLC that the French have promised they will provide military trainers and arms. So far the men and materiel have not made an appearance. Instead, a few “risk assessment analysts” wielding clipboards have come and gone. Jabril, Jalil and others are impatient. It is understood that France has clear economic interests at stake. Sarkozy’s occasional emissary, the intellectual self-promoter Bernard Henri-Levy, is considered by those in the NLC who have dealt with him as a semi-useful, semi joke figure.
2. Rumors swept the NLC upper echelon this week that Qaddafi may be dead or maybe not.
3. Qaddafi has nearly bottomless financial resources to continue indefinitely, according to the latest report we have received: On April 2, 2011 sources with access to advisors to Saif al-Islam Qaddafi stated in strictest confidence that while the freezing of Libya’s foreign bank accounts presents Muammar Qaddafi with serious challenges, his ability to equip and maintain his armed forces and intelligence services remains intact. According to sensitive information available to this these individuals, Qaddafi’s government holds 143 tons of gold, and a similar amount in silver. During late March, 2011 these stocks were moved to SABHA (south west in the direction of the Libyan border with Niger and Chad); taken from the vaults of the Libyan Central Bank in Tripoli. This gold was accumulated prior to the current rebellion and was intended to be used to establish a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar. This plan was designed to provide, the Francophone African Countries with an alternative to the French franc (CFA).
( Source Comment: According to knowledgeable individuals this quantity of gold and silver is valued at more than $7 billion. French intelligence officers discovered this plan shortly after the current rebellion began, and this was one of the factors that influenced President Nicolas Sarkozy’s decision to commit France to the attack on Libya. According to these individuals Sarkozy’s plans are driven by the following issues:
a. A desire to gain a greater share of Libya oil production,
b. Increase French influence in North Africa,
c. Improve his internal political situation in France,
d. Provide the French military with an opportunity to reassert its position in the world,
e. Address the concern of his advisors over Qaddafi’s long term plans to supplant France as the dominant power in, Francophone Africa. )
On the afternoon of April 1, an individual with access to the National Libyan Council (NLC) stated in private that senior officials of the NLC believe that the rebel military forces are beginning to show signs of improved discipline and fighting spirit under some of the new military commanders, including Colonel Khalifha Haftar, the former commander of the anti-Qaddafi forces in the Libyan National Army (LNA). According to these sources, units defecting from Qaddafi’s force are also taking a greater role in the fighting on behalf of the rebels.
Let’s first introduce the two persons who had this email conversation:
- Hillary Clinton: Wife and former First Lady of Ex-President Bill Clinton (period of office: 1993 – 2001). At the time of the writing of these emails Hillary Clinton was the US secretary of state (period of office: 2009 – 2013) and thus one of the most influential person in foreign affairs for the USA. In 2008 and 2016 she ran for the presidency. During her campaign in 2016 several of her private and confidential conversations were leaked from her private email server. Hillary Clinton heavily lobbied for the NATO involvement and the so called no-fly-zone in the Libyan war which was effectively an open attack on Libya’s air defense and offense capabilities. This finally led to the fall of Muammar al-Gaddafi, Libya’s head of state, and to the effective disintegration of the whole Libyan state.
- Sidney Blumenthal: A journalist and writer, formerly employed by the Clinton Foundation. He is a former aide of Bill Clinton and a long time confidant to Hillary Clinton. The Clinton Foundation serves as a charity or non-profit organization, designed to maintain much of the Clintons’ wealth. During Bill Clinton’s presidency, the Clinton Foundation was used to conduct charity like business with different countries (e.g. development projects) funded by the US state and managed by the Clinton Foundation. During Hillary Clinton’s period of office as secretary of state, the Clinton Foundation served as a mayor intelligence service for Hillary Clinton personally. Sidney Blumenthal can be regarded as the head of that service. The most sensitive information gathered by the Wikileaks archive comes from Sidney Blumenthal.
The very peculiar observation here is that the first email from 27th of March 2011 indicates that “a small number of Egyptian Special Forces units, […] French and British Special Operations troops” were already training rebels and “overseeing the transfer of weapons and supplies to the rebels”. This is only about 2 month after the first peaceful protests in January/February 2011. Hence, the usual rethoric of a public uprising and a civil war is utterly wrong and can certainly be attributed to Western propaganda. A more reasonable description is a targeted destabilization of the Libyan state by Western and regional powers. The goal most probably was to topple Muammar al-Gaddafi and to install a pro-Western government instead. This is also indicated by the second email. The goal was partially achieved in October 2011 when Gaddafi was killed. After heavy bombardment from NATO aircrafts, he was captured and tortured by local rebel groups and finally killed by a headshot. The Libyan state hasn’t been restored for almost a decade now. The whole region is a lawless wasteland with different rebel and military groups fighting each other. Most of them have a radical Islamistic background.